Home North America Trump says he plans to ban TikTok from US

Trump says he plans to ban TikTok from US

- Advertisement -

Fox News @ Night – Friday, July 31

On today’s episode of ‘Fox News @ Night’, Shannon Bream reacts to Mexican hospitals being overrun with coronavirus patients; plus, Trump plans to ban TikTok calling it a national security risk.

President Trump told reporters late Friday that he plans to ban the social media platform TikTok from the United States as soon as Saturday.

A ban would further pressure TikTok’s Chinese parent company ByteDance to sell the app’s U.S. operations amid national security concerns about users’ personal data. Microsoft is a leading contender to buy.

“As far as TikTok is concerned, we’re banning them from the United States,” Trump told reporters on Air Force One.“I have that authority…It’s going to be signed tomorrow.” He said he could use an executive order or emergency economic powers.

The administration is also prepared to order the company to divest its ownership in TikTok.

Investment bankers told FOX Business if the Microsoft deal falls through, ByteDance will certainly shop TikTok wider including to private equity firms. A person with direct knowledge told FOX Business there are two to three serious buyers that have expressed interest.

Any deal will be closely scrutinized by the Trump administration. “If Microsoft or any U.S. company buys TikTok this will be carefully monitored to make sure there is absolutely no Chinese involvement in the new company,” said one Wall Street executive with knowledge of the matter.

Trump as recently as March used executive powers to force a Chinese company to sell its stake in a U.S. hotel software company, the Washington Post reported.

Talks between the White House and TikTok stalled Friday over the details of a potential sale, including ByteDance’s insistence on a minority stake in the app, Reuters reported.

TIKTOK IS SHOPPING ITSELF AND MICROSOFT IS INTERESTED 

The platform has hundreds of employees in the U.S. and recently hired Kevin Mayer, a former Disney executive, as chief executive, according to the Post.

TikTok has become wildly popular with millions of Americans in the last few years, especially teenagers, who use it to make short videos.

The move comes amid heightened tension between the U.S. and China over the coronavirus, trade, Hong Kong and the closing of consulates over accusations of spying.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said earlier this month the government was considering banning TikTok over security concerns.

Last week, the U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs passed a bill to ban the app on government-issued devices, according to Reuters.

The Navy and the Army have already banned TikTok on government-issued phones and the Pentagon has advised employees to remove it from their phones, the Post reported.

The company has denied it gives data from the app to the Chinese government.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“While we do not comment on rumors or speculation, we are confident in the long-term success of TikTok,” TikTok said in a statement over Trump’s statement.

Fox Business’ Charlie Gasparino and Lydia Moynihan and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Source:

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Stay Connected

16,985FansLike
2,458FollowersFollow
61,453SubscribersSubscribe

Must Read

Scott Morrison reveals he hasn’t spoken to Xi Jinping since last June

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has revealed he hasn’t spoken to his Chinese counterpart, President Xi Jinping, for more than 12 months at a virtual event in the US. Speaking at the Aspen Security Forum, Mr Morrison told moderator Margaret Brennan about Australia’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, increasing instability in the Asia Pacific region…
- Advertisement -

LIVE: Samsung Unpacked: Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra price, release date announced

Korean electronics giant Samsung has revealed the revolutionary new earbuds it hopes can topple Apple’s AirPods from the throne, and for a limited time you can get them for free.Of course there is a catch – you’ll have to spend at least $1849 on one of the company’s fancy new smartphones – the Galaxy Note…

Beirut explosion: Security sources say ‘welding work’ may have caused deadly blast

The massive explosion in Beirut, Lebanon may have been caused by “welding work” happening nearby according to reports from security sources.At least 100 people have been killed and 4000 people injured after the enormous blast destroyed dozens of buildings and shattered windows, with Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab describing the situation as “a real catastrophe”.Beirut…

AFL 2020: Prince Harry, Campbell Brown Las Vegas run in revealed

AFL great Campbell Brown has revealed a wild encounter he shared with Prince Harry inside a Las Vegas nightclub.The former Hawthorn and Gold Coast star says he was eventually escorted away from the former royal after they enjoyed a vodka-induced chinwag and showed off their moves on the dance floor of the iconic XS Night…

Related News

Scott Morrison reveals he hasn’t spoken to Xi Jinping since last June

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has revealed he hasn’t spoken to his Chinese counterpart, President Xi Jinping, for more than 12 months at a virtual event in the US. Speaking at the Aspen Security Forum, Mr Morrison told moderator Margaret Brennan about Australia’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, increasing instability in the Asia Pacific region…

LIVE: Samsung Unpacked: Note 20 and Note 20 Ultra price, release date announced

Korean electronics giant Samsung has revealed the revolutionary new earbuds it hopes can topple Apple’s AirPods from the throne, and for a limited time you can get them for free.Of course there is a catch – you’ll have to spend at least $1849 on one of the company’s fancy new smartphones – the Galaxy Note…

Beirut explosion: Security sources say ‘welding work’ may have caused deadly blast

The massive explosion in Beirut, Lebanon may have been caused by “welding work” happening nearby according to reports from security sources.At least 100 people have been killed and 4000 people injured after the enormous blast destroyed dozens of buildings and shattered windows, with Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab describing the situation as “a real catastrophe”.Beirut…

AFL 2020: Prince Harry, Campbell Brown Las Vegas run in revealed

AFL great Campbell Brown has revealed a wild encounter he shared with Prince Harry inside a Las Vegas nightclub.The former Hawthorn and Gold Coast star says he was eventually escorted away from the former royal after they enjoyed a vodka-induced chinwag and showed off their moves on the dance floor of the iconic XS Night…

Man shot by police in Brisbane after officer stabbed in the face

A police officer is expected to recover after he was stabbed in the face during a “normal” day which saw his alleged attacker shot by his partner.Authorities are attempting to uncover the baffling reasons why the 25-year-old man turned on police at Upper Mount Gravatt in Brisbane on Wednesday, leaving him shot several times in…
- Advertisement -

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here